Brief History of The Department of Computer Engineering
The Department was created in 2011 in line with the aims of the University to train students in Computer Engineering to meet the nation’s planning objectives, manpower needs, and global development especially in line with the global trend of innovations in Computer Engineering. At inception the department coincided with the merger of three erstwhile universities i.e. University of Ado –Ekiti (UNAD), the University of Science and Technology Ifaki Ekiti (USTI), The University of Education, Ikere Ekiti (TUNEDIK), the 100Level students moving to 200Level from former University of Science and Technology Ifaki Ekiti automatically became the pioneering students for the Department, even though the B.Eng. Computer Engineering programme had been approved to be mounted and run by the Senate of the University of Ado-Ekiti before the merger. Lecturers and facilities from existing Departments in Faculty of Engineering were used for the take off of the Department.
Philosophy and Objectives
Computer Engineering is an exciting field that spans topics across Electrical engineering and Computer science. Electrical and computer engineers design and develop electronic circuits, equipment and systems in the areas of electromagnetics (antennas; radar, radio, and television systems), communications and control (telephone systems, satellite communications; laser and optical fiber communications; aircraft and missile guidance systems, computers and digital systems (computers, microprocessors and microcomputers; artificial intelligence), physical electronics and optics (transistors; integrated circuits; optical display devices; lasers; optical fibers), analysis and synthesis of power transmission and distribution systems, and control systems (computer control, robotics, automated manufacturing, intelligent sensors). Computer Engineering students have the opportunity to establish themselves with the latest computer engineering topics such as advanced computer architecture, high-level digital design technologies, signal processing, Quantum Computing , Software and Hardware Engineering, Electromagnetics , Analog and Digital communications
The philosophy of the Department is in line with the University developmental philosophy to achive high technological growth through thorough traning in Computer Engineering and Technology.The graduates are to be efficient in practical application of Computer Engineering knowledge in the Engineering industries.
The Objectives and Mission Statement
The Engineering programmes are designed to meet the overall Faculty Objectives and the following specific Objectives:
- To equip the graduates with adequate basic engineering principles that would enable them to cope with the challenges of a developing country like Nigeria
- To produce graduates that will be able to interact with other Engineering disciplines and clearly identify his/her interface with them.
- To give a broad based instruction and training required for designing, installing, operating and maintaining computer systems hardware/software.
- To produce high quality graduates that will be able to adopt and adapt new technology in solving local engineering problems
- To prepare students who choose to continue on to graduate school, at a level of competence sufficient for a successful completion of graduate school programme
- To give the graduate the opportunity of being familiar with the different specializations in Engineering
- To give a broad sense instructions and practical training required for designing, manufacturing, installation and construction processes
- To enable the graduate diagnose problems in his immediate environment and prescribe engineering solutions
- To enable the graduate work with other colleagues locally and internationally on viable projects thereby promoting communication among collaborative engineering graduates
- To encourage graduate develop and employ the modern computational aids in solving problems
- To encourage graduate to be creative and innovative leading to his /her self-sustenance/ self-employment.